Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Back to the grindstone!

Well I am working back in my office now which affords me the opportunity to ride my bike at least twice a day during my commute.  My doctor gave me the ok to ride again a little over two weeks ago and I have been trying to take advantage of every day of good weather.  The exception was today, it was rather cold, for this time of year, and rainy. I rode anyway.  The ride in, in the morning was cool, but at least it wasn't raining.  The afternoon was another matter, I was watching the weather/radar pretty closely and chose a pretty good break in the downpours.  I managed to only get dumped on a little bit.  Overall it wasn't bad at all.  I guess I have become somewhat of a weather wimp.  When I was in Junior High back in Kansas my science teacher was also my training partner.  Jim Janelle, my science teacher, rode in the inaugural edition of the Red Zinger Classic that went on to be the Coors Classic, and in the Durango Iron Horse race.  Jim and I would go out at between 4:30 and 5 AM in the Spring, this means we were riding in weather that averaged around freezing.  I can remember taking hot baths to warm up after riding and get ready for school.  Now I have problems riding in anything lower that 45 degrees or so.

Well it looks like the spring classics are over, I throughly enjoyed watching all of them on Sporza.  I liked the results of all but L-B-L.  Vino has never been a favorite of mine, never mind the whole doping issue.  Steve Tilford has a good set of pictures and a link to Bike Snob NY's stories about Vino looking like Ivan Drago from Rocky.  I never really thought about it until I saw the pictures side by side.  Bike Snob takes it a step further and shows the the fact Vino doesn't have eyebrows is the problem.  Either way I don't like Vino, his ego and all the whining he does.

Tour of Romandie is going now and I hope I can watch a few stages before it is all over.  I am also looking forward to the Giro this year, of course the Tour of California will be good, and it is in my back yard, but the Giro is just so epic with its climbs in the Dolomites and all the tifosi.  I really dislike the term epic, but somehow it really suits the climbs in the three grand tours.  Well all these changes in the weather have made my collarbone hurt so I have taken a painkiller, and since I haven't been taking any for a while I am just about down for the count. Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment